Lisa Kay's Reviews > Clockwork Angel

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

Tessa’s Clockwork Angel necklace.
Jewlery available at http://cassie-claire.com/cms/home

description

★★★★★ (Review of audiobook.) Wow! Now this is a brilliant and breathtaking introduction to the clever Ms. Clare’s The Infernal Devices trilogy, and the narrator, Jennifer Ehle, certainly elevates it by a half star with her splendid delivery. Ms. Ehle keeps these amazing characters’ voices very distinctive, with a nice variety of tone, inflection, accent and personality.

This genre-bending chapter in Ms. Clare’s edgy fairy tale, a prequel to The Mortal Instruments series, is plopped down in gas-light lit Victorian England, a favorite setting of mine. A kind of Historical Urban Fantasy for its age. It is a must read for anyone who loves young-adult paranormal books. If you haven’t tried the YA genre before, this is one to start reading.

The Strand front of Somerset House and St Mary-le-Strand church sits in the middle of this Victorian London street, as it still does today.
Print published by Ackermann & Co in 1836. Artist unknown.

description

The humor is pitch-perfect, the “fish-out-of-water” heroine is not annoying, and the secondary characters interesting, all bringing the book together instead of just providing fillers. The typical love triangle found in young-adult books is not overbearing and the mystery well plotted, paced, and purely additive! I (along with my “buddy read” partners) found myself stumped repeatedly and still not frustrated or impatient in the delicious reveals. Of course, not all is discovered; it is, after all, the first of three. Can’t wait for the next one!

Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices #1) by Cassandra Clare Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, #2) by Cassandra Clare Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, #3) by Cassandra Clare

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clockwork Angel.

Quotes Lisa Kay Liked

Cassandra Clare
“One must always be careful of books," said Tessa, "and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”

Cassandra Clare
“There's plenty of sense in nonsense sometimes, if you wish to look for it.”

Cassandra Clare
“I have mastered many things in my life. Navigating the streets of London, speaking French without an accent, dancing the quadrille, the Japanese art of flower arranging, lying at charades, concealing a highly intoxicated state, delighting young women with my charms..."

Tessa stared.

"Alas," he went on, "no one has ever actually referred to me as 'the master,' or 'the magister,' either. More's the pity...”

Cassandra Clare
“Will looked horrified. "What kind of monster could possibly hate chocolate?”

Cassandra Clare
“Will smiled the way Lucifer might have smiled, moments before he fell from Heaven.”

Cassandra Clare
“Well, she's not responding to my advances," he observed more brightly than he felt, "so she must be dead."
"Or she's a woman of good taste and sense.”

Cassandra Clare
“Let me give you a piece of advice. The handsome young fellow who's trying to rescue you from a hideous fate is never wrong. Not even if he says the sky is purple and made of hedgehogs.”

Cassandra Clare
“If no one in the entire world cared about you, did you really exist at all?”

Cassandra Clare
“Jessamine recoiled from the paper as if it were a snake. "A lady does not read the newspaper. The society pages, perhaps, or the theater news. Not this filth."
"But you are not a lady, Jessamine---," Charlotte began.
"Dear me," said Will. "Such harsh truths so early in the morning cannot be good for the digestion.”

Cassandra Clare
“Remember when you tried to convince me to feed a poultry pie to the mallards in the park to see if you could breed a race of cannibal ducks?"

"They ate it too," Will reminisced. "Bloodthirsty little beasts. Never trust a duck.”

Cassandra Clare
“Must you go? I was rather hoping you'd stay and be a ministering angel, but if you must go, you must."

"I'll stay," Will said a bit crossly, and threw himself down in the armchair Tessa had just vacated. "I can minister angelically."

"None too convincingly. And you're not as pretty to look at as Tessa is," Jem said, closing his eyes as he leaned back against the pillow.

"How rude. Many who have gazed upon me have compared the experience to gazing at the radiance of the sun."

Jem still had his eyes closed. "If they mean it gives you a headache, they aren't wrong.”

Cassandra Clare
“Drowning yourself won't help, she told herself sternly. Now, drowning Will, on the other hand...”

Cassandra Clare
“It's all right to love someone who doesn't love you back, as long as they're worth you loving them. As long as they deserve it.”

Cassandra Clare
“Will!” he shouted. “Will, she bit me!”

“Did she, Henry?” Will, looking amused as usual, appeared like a summoned spirit from the chaos of smoke and flames. . .Will raised an eyebrow in Tessa’s direction. “It’s bad form to bite,” he informed her. “Rude, you know. Hasn’t anyone ever told you that?”

“It’s also rude to go about grabbing at ladies you haven’t been introduced to,” Tessa said stiffly. “Hasn’t anyone told you that?”

Cassandra Clare
“He waved a hand at the ropes. “Do you often sleep tied to the bed?”
Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel

02/22/2012 "Whoa! I'm loving this one - a lot ! Good "buddy read" too. ☺" 1 comment
02/25/2012
46.0% "Still really good. Loving the audio."
03/25/2016 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

Comments (showing 1-24)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* III be interested in what you think of this one Lisa Kay..Ive been on the waiting list at the library..forever.:(

Lisa Kay Posted my review, Sandi! I'm sorry, it isn't lendable. ☹ I hope, when you get it, you enjoy it even half as much as I did.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Thanks Lisa Kay! Nice review! I was curious about the necklace..plot/story sounds good,guess thats why Im still on the library waiting list :(

Lisa Kay I thought the necklace was really pretty neat. I think only one person was kind of "ho hum" about it.

message 20: by Karla (new) - added it

Karla Wonderful review Lisa Kay. That necklace is to die for. I see that this was an audiobook and I've never "read" a book in that format. I was going to ask you to recommend one, but I think you just did. Not quite sure how to go about doing this, but I'm sure I'll figure it out. I've read 3 books that precede this in Mortal Instrument series, but actually take place after this one. Loved them all.

Lisa Kay Thanks, Karla! Oh, this one has excellent narration. I don't know if you read the In Death series by J.D. Robb, but Susan Ericksen was, like, born to read that series. ☺ Let me know what you think, if you get this one.

Lisa Kay Oh, forgot: Yes! You said it! "That neckace is to die for."

message 17: by Karla (new) - added it

Karla I love the In Death series! I'm on book 17 and really need to get back to it. Maybe I'll do that one instead, I didn't realize how pricey they were, so it might have to wait until next payday.

Lisa Kay Your library might have all of the In Death series. Most libraries have them so that they are "downloadable" from home.

How about Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark series. Do you read that, Karla?

message 15: by Karla (new) - added it

Karla I've read the whole series...more that once. Love it!. I'm going to try the library, I see they have the audio books and you can download from home. I'll give that a whirl first. Thanks Lisa Kay!

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Karla wrote: "I love the In Death series! I'm on book 17 and really need to get back to it. Maybe I'll do that one instead, I didn't realize how pricey they were, so it might have to wait until next payday."

I agree Karla..In Death series are SO good,Im re-reading and enjoying even more the 2nd time around :)

message 13: by Lisa Kay (last edited Mar 03, 2012 12:01PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay Karla wrote: "Thanks Lisa Kay!"
Wink Pictures, Images and Photos

Lisa Kay Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* wrote: "I'm re-reading and enjoying even more the 2nd time around :)"

Me too, Sanda! I forget where I left off years ago, but wanted to pick the series back up. So, I decided to listen. Man-oh-man! I am glad I did; they're great!

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Lisa Kay wrote: "Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* wrote: "I'm re-reading and enjoying even more the 2nd time around :)"

Do you like listening better than book in hand?

Lisa Kay My first preference is book-in-hand, Sandi. However, I can listen to an audiobook while building (and updating) my challenges, driving, housework (ugh), etc.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Lisa Kay wrote: "My first preference is book-in-hand, Sandi. However, I can listen to an audiobook while building (and updating) my challenges, driving, housework (ugh), etc."

I cant do that,I have to concentrate on one task only! My hat off to you:)

message 7: by Kouk (new) - added it

Kouk Great review Lisa!

This book sounds really awesome!
I added it my shelf (the other ones as well!) and can't wait to read it!

The necklace is amazing! Very Steampunk!

Lara Okay, you convinced me to listen to the audioboook in Jan rather than read the ebook. I have both, and was leaning towards the ebook.

Lisa Kay Just now seeing your posts, Kouk & Lara. Yes, love the necklace. Did you like the audio, Lara?

Trish Guess I should be listening rather than reading...I've been reading off-and-on for weeks, upon recommendations of many...but it feels like a grind to me. So dark at first. I'm about 60% through, and want to finish, because I REALLY want to like a) Cassandra Clare b) this series and c)Steampunk...still - - I'm grinding. This Necklace is a BEAUTIFUL rendition of Tessa's necklace, though, and is very helpful as I continue reading...

Lisa Kay Did you finish, Trish?

Trish I did. The end got SIGNIFICANTLY better, and I'm on to Clockwork Prince. The first book just started so dark for me; I hate dark-starting books. I love how the FEVER series (Karen Marie Moning) starts in the sun, then becomes dark when she goes to Ireland...For me personally, if Tessa had started in a bright NYC then met the Dark Sisters in London, the transition would have been easier for me. Regardless, now that everything "is as it is" (primarily dark) and I'm used to the world and characters that Clare has built, I'm enjoying it much more. Not like, "OMG" more, but enough that I'll continue.

Lisa Kay Interesting. I hadn't thought of that.