Cayr's Reviews > Last Words

Last Words by George Carlin

Nov 13, 11

bookshelves: biography-memoirs
Read from October 06 to November 08, 2011

For the first six chapters of this book, I was wishing that I hadn't picked up a copy to read. I did not find George a very endearing character during these early chapters, particularly when it came to his harsh criticism of his mother. (I don't know the woman, but it bothers me when people rip on their mom, unless she happens to be evil on a stick, which Mrs. Carlin was not.)
By chapter 7, however, I was more at ease with both Carlin's style and recollections. From this chapter on, I thought the book got really good. Like Steve Martin's book "Born Standing Up", I was intrigued by the thought and planning that goes into stand-up, and what hard work it can be to keep an audience interested, and more importantly, laughing.
I was cheering for George by the last 5 chapters, when he really comes into his own: the George Carlin I grew up with, the George Carlin I loved and admired for his honesty.
The book contains parts of George's stand up routines, and in the end, Carlin comes off as a very sympathetic character - never 100% sure of himself, never perfection, but always, always, George.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Words.