Angela James's Reviews > River Marked

River Marked by Patricia Briggs

Feb 09, 11

bookshelves: 2011, arc, urban-fantasy, my-faves, 2012, reread
Read in December, 2012

Okay, I finished this last night and I'm not going to do any type of in-depth review, but I wanted to get a few thoughts down. I think people will either love this book or feel a bit meh about it. The book is very much about two things: Adam and Mercy's relationship and Mercy's...biological roots. I think that the outside conflict of the "big bad" is instead used to support the development of those two stories, rather than being the driving force of the book. I enjoyed this.

This book contains a lot more lore--Indian lore, giving us (and Mercy) more insight into who she is and where she comes from. Readers who aren't into that might not enjoy this book.

On the whole, I appreciated that this was a further development of Mercy's character and her relationship with Adam, but some readers may have preferred that the author not focus on those elements and instead spotlight outside conflicts like in some of the previous books.

But, overall, this is a great installment in the Mercedes Thompson series and I don't hesitate to recommend it.

(and if you have an ounce of a romantic in your soul, you'll get a little misty-eyed at the very end part of the book, but I won't give it away!)
13 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read River Marked.

message 1: by Ursula (new)

Ursula OMG. I am dying for this book to come out!

Laura the Highland Hussy I can't wait for this one!

Estara That's actually also more to my taste. I read these books for the characters interaction and the setting and not for the action plot. If the author can find other ways to make the story interesting, that's just fine. I like slice-of-life stories a lot, too ^^. If I want sweeping adventure I go for epic fantasy.