usagi ☆ミ's Reviews > The Guild

The Guild by Felicia Day

Jan 29, 2011

bookshelves: 2011, best-of-11, manga-and-comics, lol, favorites-manga, wishlist-priority
Read on February 06, 2011

If you know me, I love me some “Guild” action, and I’ve always kind of mourned the fact that each episode is so short (well, yeah, it’s a web series, but still…). But now that we have another season being filmed at the moment AND the comics coming out each month, my Codex craving has been satisfied — for now.

I’ll admit it: I totally have a girl crush on the awesome Felicia Day. But not only does she act well, but she writes well, too – which has only been proven repeatedly throughout “The Guild” show, and now the comics. Rugg really captures her movement really well in the art for the comic, to the point where it’s almost as if Cyd is leaping off of the page. As if it were any other (filmed) episode.

Cyd’s backstory is the story of so many gamers out there (hell, any kid who was born in the late 70s/80s who’s currently unemployed and looking for work, too) – I know that I identified with her becoming Codex through trying to escape her various neuroses and sucky circumstances. And this is what I love about “The Guild” – it does make fun of the traditional “basement troll” figure that parents have worried about since the 90s and Generation X just kind of went “whatever” to everything, but at the same time, it shows that the circumstances that make up these characters is very real. The uncertainty and anxiety that one experiences during their 20s (and 30s, apparently), the fear of ‘growing up’, the ‘what the hell should I do with my life?’ circular thought that just pounds through one’s brain (especially in this economy). Because Day uses self-effacing comedy, she also gives Cyd a life that’s realer than most characters that are of the same genre – thereby soothing me, at least, by basically telling me that I wasn’t alone in all of this uncertainty and anxiety and what the hell, I don’t want to grow up-ness of my now late 20s. For that, I thank her.

All seriousness aside, at the end of the day, “The Guild” is a tragicomedy about everyday life and what makes us who we are, and how that makes us who we are. I don’t think that’s really emphasized enough by reviewers when talking about it. Because the basement troll so real, it can be made fun of, but also appreciated. Of course, it would be nice to live away from my mother like I used to, but until that day comes (and a better, more stable job with it), I’ll be content to continue what I’m doing now with a little less shame thanks to Cyd and company.

“When does one get to reinvent oneself as an adult?”, Cyd/Codex asks early in this first volume of the comic series. The answer? Now.

(crossposted to shelfari, librarything, and witchoftheatregoing.wordpress.com)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Guild.

09/14/2016 marked as: read