Harris's Reviews > Boomerang Nation: How to Survive Living with Your Parents...the Second Time Around

Boomerang Nation by Elina Furman

112040
Feb 02, 11

bookshelves: library-book, qlc, generation-y-life
Read from January 29 to February 01, 2011

I was a bit disappointed in this book. I have recently found myself among the many twenty and thirty somethings who have found themselves moving back home following graduation, caught between two stages of life and struggling to begin a career or other life goals while hampered by a sluggish economy and a tough housing market. As a former member of this not so illustrious group herself, Furman writes that these “boomerangers” are increasingly "loud and proud," and I was hoping for an examination of this phenomena in cultural terms. How exactly is this effecting ideas of adulthood? How are people reconciling this state of trapped adolescence, this loss of independence? The many short personal accounts by boomerangs included in the text to exemplify various problems and thoughts about this trend of extended homelife were among the most interesting parts of the book, and did a good job of showing the reader that they are by no means alone.

On the other hand, while discussing such questions a bit, showing that adults, by choice or necessity, moving back in with their parents is not an uncommon or terrible thing, Furman herself spends much more time focusing on practical advice on how to go back to living with one’s family, from dating to budget considerations. While much of this can be very helpful, a lot of it are simply common sense ideas, such as not to antagonize your new “roommates” by refusing to do chores or dealing with privacy issues. In particular, the section on parental “types” seemed especially redundant. As someone whose family is supportive, much of this came as little surprise. In the end, “Boomerang Nation” might be a useful read, as well as concise, tautly written, easily consumed, but I was looking for a more substantial discussion of the group I now find myself a part.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boomerang Nation.