Miss Kitty's Reviews > Beyond the Chase: Breaking Your Obsessions That Sabotage True Intimacy

Beyond the Chase by Carla Wills-Brandon

Apr 08, 11

bookshelves: adultnonfiction, make-me-less-crazy
Read from January 29 to February 01, 2011

I'm very proud of myself that I was able to get past the annoying writing style to get some of the self-helpy gems in this book. It sometimes read like an extended version of those Ladies Home Journal articles "Can This Marriage Be Saved?" I always loved reading those when I was in 5th grade, go figure. I'm a relative novice to the self-help genre so I don't know if Wills-Brandon says anything that's been said 10,000 times before. Most likely that's the case, but aside from the annoying writing, it's fairly easy to read. I did get to learn about "emotional affairs," which are basically affairs but without the sex. Now, you might ask yourself, "Self, what is the point of an affair without the sex?" Wills-Brandon says that folks have emotional affairs because of the chemical rush that you get when you're first in a relationship - that feeling of being needed, thinking about the other person all the time, putting all your other relationships and yourself aside, blahblahblah. She emphasizes that you can't depend on a relationship to make you whole, first you have to heal yourself. Hurrah for self-healing!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beyond the Chase.