Rachel's Reviews > Crazy Beautiful

Crazy Beautiful by Lauren Baratz-Logsted

Jan 29, 11

Read in January, 2011

I read this book for my YA Lit class from the "Reluctant Reader" list. I can see why it is on the list. The story is about a boy who blew off his hands and replaced them with hooks (yep-I was "hooked" by that one--bad pun :-)) who meets a young, beautiful girl who lost her mother five years ago and is still hurting from the lost. Sounds good so far--great, unique idea. It was actually a pretty decent YA story, a few words/phrases I didn't care for but overall interesting and clean. The reason I'm giving it three stars is because the plot and characters were so undeveloped. The characters actually meet about half-way through the book and then the ending is really rushed. That was disappointing. However, the narrative is great. The story is told from the point of view of the boy (Lucious Wolfe) and the girl (Aurora Belle) in alternating chapters. To the author's credit, if one was not a big reader, this would be a perfect segway into the wide world of reading because this story is not complex, there is a straigtforward, appropriate YA plot and characters. So--perfrect if you are just getting into reading, if you are an avid reader, you will be aching for more.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crazy Beautiful.