Mark's Reviews > Blood and Iron

Blood and Iron by Elizabeth Bear

Jan 29, 11

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in January, 2011

A story of modern Faerie. The author uses an interesting stylistic twist that rubs me the wrong way. She keeps using descriptions or phrases and then almost immediately contradicting them, I believe in an attempt to imbue the impression of Faerie as not obeying the normal rules of the world. For example, she'll declare something as impossible and then have it happen in the next paragraph. She'll describe someone who we think is human doing an action requiring three hands. She'll say things always occur in threes, and then immediately have something that happens only twice. Since this is a acclaimed fantasy writer, I'm assuming this is a deliberate choice and not that she is a sloppy wordsmith. Unfortunately my brain can't handle this style. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to the contradictions, so rather than inculcating a sense of other-worldliness it impresses me as a series of unforced errors. However I'm not certain whether this is a bad style or just not for me, so I'm choosing not to give a score to this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood and Iron.