Angela James's Reviews > Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart

Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart by Sarah MacLean

Jan 29, 11

bookshelves: 2011, arc, historical, my-faves
Read in January, 2011

First disclaimer: I got an ARC of this book from Avon via NetGalley and I'm so grateful to them for it! Also, I'd like to note that it's often SO much harder to tell why you loved a book than why you didn't, so forgive me if I babble.

How much did I enjoy this book? I devoured it in 2 1/2 hours this morning. I do read fast, but still, I couldn't tear myself away from Juliana and Simon's story. You know that feeling you get in your stomach and throat, when you're enjoying a book so much, and want things to go well for the characters so much, you're afraid the author is going to write something into it that changes the course and disappoints you terribly? That didn't happen here, though I spent the entire book reading and wondering how this could possibly work out.

I think there's a lot to like about this book: it starts out interesting and doesn't let up, just when you think the hero is going to disappoint you and be totally selfish, the author turns him in another direction, she manages to make the reader feel tremendous empathy with the heroine (at one point, after a major event happens--sorry, I won't tell what, it would be a huge spoiler--and the heroine is alone, talking to her horse, I found myself getting teary and feeling just horrible for her), and through it all the reader (in this case me) keeps turning the pages faster and faster, wanting to see the happy ending, because you just believe THESE characters deserve it.

I'm so happy with how this book. I liked "Nine Rules" quite a bit, but didn't care for the next book at all, so I'm extremely happy to be able to offer a positive report on Eleven Scandals and to urge romance fans who enjoyed Maclean's "Nine Rules", or who like a fun, passionate, character-driven romance to pick this one up when it releases April 26.
11 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart.

Adwina Ralston Cumberbatch OMG your review makes me want to read it right away!! I'm dying for Juliana story!!