Julie's Reviews > The Gerbil Farmer's Daughter: A Memoir

The Gerbil Farmer's Daughter by Holly Robinson

2079573
Feb 02, 11

Read from January 29 to February 02, 2011

My sister and I inherited some gerbils when we were little from a youth leader at our church. She was moving to another city, and I think my mother thought it would be a snub to God if we didn't help her out by taking her gerbils. Besides, they came free, along with a tank, extra bedding, food dishes, water bottles, and even a little bit of food to get us started. Free was a big thing at our house. So when I saw the title of this book, and considered what a Gerbil Farm might be, I was intrigued.
Holly Robinson did not disappoint. Her father was a Navy officer, but one day he orders several boxes of gerbils from a children's play catalog, and the rest is history, as they say. Did you know that gerbils were relatively unknown as pets before the late 1960's, around the time that Robinson started his gerbil breeding operation? Eventually, her father retires from the Navy, and continues to expand his gerbil operation. Robinson is a great storyteller, and the book has a nice pace and kept my interest all the way through. A great book club book, or even a fun read for kids (probably middle school or older). Thoroughly recommended!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gerbil Farmer's Daughter.