Eric's Reviews > Mutineer

Mutineer by Mike Shepherd

1964658
Feb 10, 11

Recommended to Eric by: Watch the Skies
Recommended for: Fans fo space navies
Read in February, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I'm giving this one three and a half stars for a couple of reasons. First, I like books with a fair amount of action. This book has action. Second, I liked the writing pace and style. It was easy to read and flowed very easily from one thing to another. I did read it quickly (or at least relatively so) and wasn't disappointed in it. If you like space navy style stories then you'll do just fine with this book.

I wasn't sure how certain aspects of this book really worked. There were a significant number of things that screamed 'future' without ever defining the universe. There's not even an approximation of time in the future when this is set. I know it's the future of "us" because there are so many bits and pieces from today that sometimes the "space" part of this seems just to be window dressing. Aliens are hinted at, but never seen. Interstellar technology means the navy of today flies in space without any of today's trappings that are inconvenient for the story. I thought there were some holes in this story that didn't make sense - like how supposedly politically savvy parents desperate to protect their child would leave out so many details about politics and how to survive your own history. Yes, she constantly refers to her knowledge about knowing what to say and what not to say - but it doesn't matter because she generally speaking doesn't know a damn thing.

It was an enjoyable enough read, but I don't see me running out to get another one. If I want to read about space military units I'm jumping back to the Starfist series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mutineer.