Lexie's Reviews > Twice is not Enough

Twice is not Enough by Emma Lai

This is a straight historical erotic romance--a time period isn't given, but I'm guessing at least Regency, possibly Victorian since the ton are mentioned and in full force. My cup of tea! The first part of the story is told in a back and forth assessment. William speaks with Lord Peters (Minerva's father) about a horse he wishes to sell, while speculating on what sort of woman he wanted as wife and Minerva was speculating on how to get her father to stop matchmaking, but also on her fantasy lover as compared to every other guy in the room. It was kind of an amusing tennis match showcasing the similar thoughts that both were thinking about.

William wanted a wife who could (in no particular order): manage his younger sister, wealthy enough that he didn't have to worry she was after his money and passionate enough that in bed they'd be on fire. Minerva wanted a husband who wouldn't just cave to her demands, wasn't after her money and set her blood on fire. I liked that neither one them focused solely on how 'attractive' their fictional spouse would have to be, for them it was more about chemistry.

The library scene, which takes up a large chunk of plot and page, was blazingly hot. William and Minerva, not knowing who the other is exactly, were almost perfectly in tune with each other as they spied (unintentionally) on the Markham's tryst. I do have to wonder at the size of the library though, the Markhams couldn't see either of them, but Minerva made quite a few references that made me wonder just how far (or close) she was.

Minerva's backstory has a sort of dark humor to it, I was expecting something far worse from the way that Minerva worried over it, though in the ton I can see why it would be embarrassing and humiliating. William is given a much broader stroke--he's American, he has a sister prone to forming bad alliances and he hates gloves. I think what I enjoyed most about the story was that Minerva realized that it wasn't just the pleasure he gave her, but also the fact that he listened to her. He seemed to truly value her opinion and took her fears seriously. William in turn was the sort of man who would welcome Minerva's intellect and 'horse-crazy' self.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twice is not Enough.

04/09/2014 marked as: ebooks-owned-read