Stephanie's Reviews > Delirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Apr 15, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, own, dystopia, romance, science-fiction, 2011-reads
Read from December 20 to 22, 2011, read count: 1

This book started off a little slow for me. But once it got going, I really couldn't stop reading.

First off, there was the usual teenager (Lena) trying to figure out who she was thing. But then things got a little more complicated with the whole the-world-is-full-of-lies aspect of it. Plus, all of the conflicts going on inside Lena - seeing Alex even though it's against the law and she's terrified of what could happen, deciding between being happy and doing what's expected, what's going on with Hana - was really interesting to see play out, and I was really curious as to what Lena would choose, especially since she would lose something no matter what.

I did find the world building lacking, though. I mean, it was a really interesting premise - love is a disease - but I found myself wanting to know why things are the way they are. I feel like I would've bought into it more if that had been developed better. Without understanding why the U.S. went totally crazy, bombed the daylights out of everything, sealed off its borders, and started cutting open everyone's brains, it was hard for me to suspend my disbelief.

Even if this had been the worst book ever, though, I probably wouldn't have cared because Lauren Oliver's writing is beautiful. Seriously, I would probably read her grocery list. That alone made reading this book worth it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.

12/20/2011 page 161