Tamara Taylor's Reviews > Farm City: The Education of an Urban Farmer

Farm City by Novella Carpenter

May 06, 15

bookshelves: food, read-in-2011, food-and-farm
Read from January 28 to 30, 2011

I absolutely loved this book. The paralells between Novella's backyard city farm and my own rural spread are uncanny. Both of us are running a veritable shit show where things go wrong, animals are cavorting along public roadways, animals die...and yet neither of us can imagine a life doing anything else. Novella is my kind of gal. She's ballsy, hilarious, adventurous and kind. The people she encounters through her adventure are so genuinely bizarre. I adore her homeless "neighbour" Bobby and feel her anguish at being treated unfairly by the slaughterhouse floozy. I truly wish Novella and I could hang out. I think we'd have a lot in common. She "gets" that eating meat isn't an act of hate. She appreciates the sacrifice of a life and the sheer amount of time and care each piece of meat take. Novella inspired me. Novella humbled me. I admit that prior to reading this book I felt urban farms were a "cutesy" idea, but not the same calibre as a "real" farm. Novella's foray into raising and slaughtering her own food shamed me into realizing that regardless of locale, urban farmers are indeed real farmers. Her 100-yard diet was awe inspiring. She has much more resolve than most of the "real" farmers I know out in the boonies.

Words cannot describe how much I enjoyed this book. I was sad when it was over. I will definitely be purchasing this book to enjoy again and again. This book was a treasure trove of awesome foody quotes. I highly recommend this one.
9 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Farm City.

01/30/2011 page 197
68.0% "This is the cutest book! I love Novella...she's my kind of kooky gal!"

Alexis I am glad you liked it so much. Now you know why I've been recommending it like a fiend to so many different people. I loved all the details about the pigs, especially when the pigs escape and run down Martin Luther boulevard. I also love all the details about how she goes dumpster diving for those pigs too. :)

Apparently she has a blog. I looked it up once but don't follow it on a regular basis. I think she's moved into goats now?

Alexis Oh, I found her blog- http://ghosttownfarm.wordpress.com/

And she says she has new books coming out in 2011 and 2012! (The one in 2011 is a farming guide, the one in 2012 is called "Gone Feral.")