Mariya's Reviews > Visions of Magic

Visions of Magic by Regan Hastings

Sep 12, 14

bookshelves: magic-users, urban-fantasy, huge-disappointment, dropped-series
Read from May 22 to 23, 2011

Don't you just love UF/PNR books that have the soulmates thing. In some UF/PNR it can work, in others not so much. VISON OF MAGIC is a perfect example of a book where the soulmates thing didn't do it for me.

First off the Prologue and chapter 1 is done very well that it keeps you interested, but it goes downhill from there. I just don't think this book had very much orginality in the Urban Fantasy and soulmates department. Other books I have read were so much better. I admit I wanted to quit after chapter 7 and I tried to push through more, but nothing was happening to keep my attention very much.

Shea, the heroine of this story started out accused as a witch and is saved by her eternal, Torin. I didn't have much of an impression of her until I made it further into the book and when I did I thought, This heroine is so dumb. It amazes me how stupid she is. I was just mad that she was in a completely safe house and knowing that people are after her because she is a witch..She exactly makes in 2 second before someone captures her after she left Torin's property. I'm sorry, but she really does not appeal to me in way my other favorite heroines have including, Cat(NIGHT HUNTRESS) and Kate(KATE DANIELS). It is o course hard to compare to those two, but I have to draw a line at dumb heroines.

Torin as I said is Shea's eternal and I thought perhaps he might make an impression on my when I first read the description of this book, but apparently I was wrong. I felt like Torin was a little too dominate. I know Barrons(FEVER) cant compare, but there have a bit of the same attitude and I just didn't even see any emotion in Torin. He seemed more concerned with what he wanted. Shea doesn't remember him at all and he just wants to push himself on her and force her to remember because he has been waiting forever.

I really wanted to like this book because of the whole soulmates thing, but I couldn't. The characters were very under developed and the plot was weak. The reviews seem to be all over the place, so I would try it if the soulmates concept interests you.

More of my reviews at Mystifying Paranormal Reviews
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Visions of Magic.

05/23/2011 page 46
13.0% "Oh, great. I picked up a book with a stupid heroine. I am so tempted to just say screw this book. I wonder if I'll make it halfway trough 8/"
show 1 hidden update…