SidneyKay's Reviews > How to Beguile a Beauty

4891956
Jan 28, 11

bookshelves: romance-regency
Read in January, 2011

Lydia is Nicole's twin sister and the difference between the two is night and day. And, I'm glad I didn't throw the entire series against the wall. This one actually helped me understand Nasty Nicole better.

Digressing with a true story: Once upon a time in a grocery store, I happened to see a mother and her two daughters. There was one walking beside the cart and another riding inside the cart. I looked at the one walking. She was a sweet little girl about eight or so. She had brown hair, brown eyes and had the look of a ballet dancer. Then I looked at the girl in the cart. OMG!!! I've never seen anyone with violet eyes before, unless you count Liz Taylor, but this little girl had them - along with black curly hair and Yes! she could have been Liz Taylor's stand-in when she was a child. The girl, probably seven or so, was absolutely gorgeous and didn't seem to be aware of the stalker woman staring at her. Can you imagine having a sister that looked like Elizabeth Taylor? Think of all the trauma your ego would go through...and then they grow up and become more beautiful. Anyway, my mind started wandering to the older sister who was pretty and what it must be like to have such a beauty for a sister. My mind instantly traveled to Romanceland, all the dynamics that these two had and would have when they grew older. And that brings me around to How to Beguile a Beauty, because that is what this tale explores - and explores very well.

Even though this is a love story and there is a hero, this is mostly Lydia's story and how she works her way out from her sister's shadow. This had some very touching parts in it, especially when Tanner tells Lydia he loves her. I loved this book so much more than Nicole's story. And, in this case I could see this marriage working out after 20 years.

There is a great best friend, Justin; I enjoyed eavesdropping on his and Tanner's conversations. The only problem I had with this book was once again the chaperon duties left a lot to be desired and the suspense thing seemed a bit rushed. It's my opinion that the suspense was a bit of a distraction to the really strong writing that Ms. Michaels did for Lydia's character. Loved Lydia.

Next up will be Justin's story in How to Wed a Baron.

Time/Place: Regency England
Rating: B+
Sensuality Rating: Almost Hot
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Beguile a Beauty.