Nikki's Reviews > My Dearest Holmes

My Dearest Holmes by Rohase Piercy

Feb 02, 11

bookshelves: lgbt, mystery, romance
Read on February 02, 2011

My Dearest Holmes contains two stories, with the conceit that they're both stories Watson set aside as being impossible to publish given the social circumstances of his day, and that he left them to be published years after his death, when it couldn't possibly affect him or his associates. The first deals with Watson's apparently unrequited love for Holmes, and provides background to his swift marriage to Mary, an arrangement of mutual benefit that allows both Watson and Mary to disguise their true preferences. The second deals with Sherlock's 'death', in the case involving Moriarty, and Watson's grief afterwards, and the true circumstances of their eventual reunion.

I had a lump in my throat for most of the book. It's well-written, in the style of the original Sherlock Holmes stories, and yet filled with feeling -- the focus is not on the mysteries, but on the characters and their feelings. It is very, very moving, even heartbreaking in the latter half, and fits in well to what I know of the canon, too. I enjoyed it very much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Dearest Holmes.