Catherine's Reviews > Afterlight

Afterlight by Elle Jasper

Jan 28, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011, uf-pnr, vampires, reviewed
Read from January 26 to 29, 2011, read count: 1

The main reason I didn’t like this book is because I have a problem with characters that go on and on about how crap their life is and unfortunately Riley Poe is one of them. I get that the author wanted to establish the fact that Riley has had a hard and traumatic childhood that’s left her scarred and given her a badass attitude, but when it’s being brought up throughout the entire book, any sympathy I might have had for her just turns into annoyance. In fact, this attempt to make Riley a ‘tough-ass’ heroine can only be called a fail because I see her as just another stubborn, dumb-ass heroine who doesn’t know when to listen to other people who’s more experienced than she is. She gets told not to do something, she agrees, and then she goes and does it anyway. Yeah, very street-smart.

I found the repetitive use of the words ‘sick’, ‘wicked’ and ‘freaking’ tiresome. They’re the kind of things I used to say to my friends when I was fifteen and now reading about a twenty-five year old women, along with a couple of vampires in their hundreds using that type of lingo just seems very juvenile. Rather than coming off as cool and hip, they’re coming off as wannabes and that’s not attractive. I couldn’t connect with any of the characters and I didn’t care whether they lived or died. Even Riley and Eli’s relationship seemed more about lust than love and I failed to find any romance in it. Most of the time, he was rather gruff with her whilst she was constantly lusting after his body.

The pacing of the story was poor and is one of the main reasons I had so much trouble reading the book. The first half of it was incredibly slow and nothing exciting was happening; it took a while for the vampires to be introduced and even then there was nothing about them that appealed to me.

I don’t like that it’s never explained why Riley’s blood is so much more appealing to vampires than everyone else’s. It just is. We’re also not told how Victorian came to know about Riley and starts obsessing over her. He just does. The battle scene at the end was very anticlimactic and we don’t even get to read about how the good guys beat the bad guys. They just did. Riley gets knocked out in the ‘fight’, or maybe we should just call it an attack seeing as she didn’t even have the opportunity to defend herself - so much for being a badass - and she wakes up to be told that they’d defeated the villains. It would be nice to have some details, descriptions and explanations rather than just say something is the way it is.

I wanted to like this book but there was nothing here that really stood out for me except the cover. I’m not sure whether to read the second because I do see potential for this to evolve into a good story, once Riley gets over her childhood and Eli’s hotness and focuses more on the story. In this book, Riley has begun training and learning how to fight against vampires, but so far she hasn’t been able to put those skills to use. Maybe in the next book, she’ll be more interesting when she can fight back.

Also, I have heard a lot of comments about how this book channels Twilight, and I admit there are a few similarities. However, I am sure that some of these ideas have been used way before Twilight even existed, like the idea of good vampires who doesn’t harm humans when they drink. In fact, most PNR/UB books rehash ideas from each other but they only ever get stick for copying Twilight, when in actual fact, Twilight probably got the idea from someone else. But personally, although there were a few similarities, I wouldn’t say this book was actually like Twilight, because the plot is completely different. Does Bella have a brother? No. Is Bella a tattoo artist? No. Is Bella a reformed Junkie? No. And for the record, Eli doesn’t sparkle and he has no qualms about having sex with Riley before they’re married. This book is not a rewrite of Twilight.

Quotes:

‘I’d gone through too much in my young life and handled a lot of problems most never encounter in their entire existence…’

‘Death. I’ve known for a long time. I’ve seen it firsthand, and it left a gruesome imprint in my mind that will haunt me forever. But like most crappy things that have happened in my life, I’ve just dealt with it, and maybe death has made me stronger…’

‘I’ve walked Savannah’s cobbles the whole of my life, been in the darkest alleys, and I’ve seen a lot of crap go down. I’ve been in a lot of crap as it was going down…’

‘There’s always potential to fall into bad shit. I know. I’ve been there. I fell and wallowed in it. And sometimes, when you’re in, you stay in. Or you don’t leave alive. I escaped, but not without repercussions. Big ones…’

‘I’d experienced a million indecencies and humilities in my youth…’

‘I knew where the darkest of souls hung out after dark; I used to be one of them…’

‘I’d been a tough-ass since age nine and had grown only tougher as I’d aged…’

‘I left that wild life far behind, and only scars and remnants of my past were still visible and present…’

‘I’d spent my teenage years as high as a kite, smoked like a freight train, got into one too many fights, skipped school, and ran with the badasses…’

This is what I mean about the constant repetitiveness of Riley’s childhood and badass status. There are more in the book. And it is not necessary because I get it. She’s had a crap life, she’s been involved in a lot of shit, she’s a bad girl. It would be great if there was less of this in the next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Afterlight.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sophie (new)

Sophie I thoroughly enjoyed reading your review... and it seems to provide a more entertaining read than the actual book by the sounds of it ;)

Catherine Haha, thanks! Glad you found my complaining entertaining :)

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda I was only able to make it about 20 pages into this before I couldn't stand Riley's repetitive narration of how badass she is and how crappy her life is. I hate to give up on a book I've started reading, but I'd rather read a main character that I like. Thanks for the review, I probably would have said exactly the same thing if I'd finished this book.

message 4: by new_user (new)

new_user we don’t even get to read about how the good guys beat the bad guys. They just did. Riley gets knocked out in the ‘fight’, or maybe we should just call it an attack seeing as she didn’t even have the opportunity to defend herself - so much for being a badass - and she wakes up to be told that they’d defeated the villains. It would be nice to have some details, descriptions and explanations rather than just say something is the way it is.

Whaaaat? Okay, total fail. You give the book a lot more leeway than I would have. No way I'm reading this.

Catherine I did consider giving it one star, but I usually save that for books I can't finish..and as crap as it was, I just about managed it with Afterlight :)

message 6: by new_user (new)

new_user LOL