Lyndsey's Reviews > Shadowfever

Shadowfever by Karen Marie Moning

Feb 21, 11

bookshelves: reviewed-2011, about-faerie-fey-folk, reviewed-4-stars
Read from January 28 to 30, 2011

Basically, every single one of these books makes me want to break into song and dance! They got the UNSEELIE oooooooout!!

Shoulder. Chin. Shoulder, shoulder, shoulder. DOUBLE DREAM HANDS!!!!

There may be minor spoilers in this review. They are mainly just spoilers about the general feeling of the end result, definitely not about any specifics or plot twists. I don't think it's any big spoiler to say that by the end of this book, the Unseelie are mostly wiped out of Dublin. Most people probably assumed that would happen or at least hoped.

As I sit here wearing my "Dublin rocks" t-shirt (I'm not exaggerating), pondering and daydreaming, I have come across a great revelation.

I am ruined. I am ruined for every single other urban fantasy. I am ruined for every other paranormal romance. Hell, I'm ruined for every other book EVER. How could I go back to YA after this? How can I go on in urban fantasy when I started at the top? How can I ever read another book again?!?! Of course, I'm being melodramatic but somewhere inside, I feel it's true. I know I'll get over it. Eventually.

While I loved it, I had quite a few issues with this book, so here we go:

1. The Dani Perspective - Dani is a relentless spitfire. Unfortunately that means what often spews forth from her is fire and it's painful. It burns my eyes and my brain. I love Dani but enough with the rambling, woman! I felt like every time we were dumped into Dani's head, it was tedious and unnessecary. A technique that is used by writers of lesser talent to rachett up the tension between the scenes that you actually want to be in. KMM is better than that. She doesn't need to use this ploy. Not to mention, it's annoying as feck inside Dani's head.

2. The Gimmicks - The Dani Daily, the quotes and song lyrics before every "part", the conversations with the Sinsar Dubh, switching of perspectives. Once again, KMM is better than this. And if all these things are so important to the mythology of the series, where were they in all the previous books? Why fling these on us now? We didn't need them. All it did was take away from time I'd rather be spending with our main characters.

3. The info dumps and recaps - By the halfway point, I felt like almost nothing had happened. So much time was spent rehashing past events and reintroducing red herrings and 'clues'. This was happening much more often than was necessary. Along with tons of internal dialogue and speculation. Am I this? Am I that? Is he this or that? Blah blah blah. Just get to the action.

5. Lovetastic Endless Forever Love - Yes, its what we've always wished for! But as soon as Barrons and Mac got together and (sort of) declared their love, I was bored. I know that's childish of me but I wanted hate sex! Not loooooove sex. Boring! I know that once again I'm being melodramatic but KMM basically turned us into Pavlov's dogs, training us to drool every time Barrons acted animalistic. And she did it with good reason. I felt the scenes thereafter were a little too cheesealicious. And apparently, (view spoiler)

Oh damn, I'm drooling again... MEEEEEE-YOW!

4. And the thing that pisses me off the most - I still don't know what the feck Barrons is! I mean, I know "what" he is, but I don't know why or what the hell it has to do with the rest of the story. It's like she took two completely unrelated stories and mythologies and meshed them together. It frustrates me quite a bit. But do I care? A little. Would I take any of it back? Hell no.

The way I see it is: it's about the journey not the destination.

Much the way I felt at the end of Lost -

What the faaaaaa?

What the batman was the smoke monster? Maybe it was Batman! The effing writers don't even know!!

And Battlestar Galactica -

Why the frak?

I still don't know what the bejesus Starbuck was? Was she Jesus?? Hell if I know! Hell if she knows!

Sure, I was disappointed that I didn't get the exact answers that I wanted. I'm not always sure if I got ANY answers (mainly with Lost). But regardless - the journey was incredible, intense, and inspiring. If I had been hung up on the answers, I never would have been able to feel the full range of the emotions of the characters. I wouldn't have been able to vicariously live out adventures through the people in the book or on the screen. If I only focused on the logic and found myself unable to suspend my disbelief, I'd have the emotional range of a robot (well, these days that might be becoming less and less limited but you get what I'm saying, I hope.)

Maybe life isn't always about the answers, maybe it's about the search.

I love it when you get inside a book. You become the book - flowing out of and into it like some sort of monster, helplessly attached. KMM's books are the Sinsar Dubh and I am the Beast.

Overall, I was consumed by these books. I loved the series, the story arch and the characters. What an amazing journey! I feel like dancing around throwing confetti, riding a magic carpet through the sky while singing, and slathering my face with birthday cake!!

DOUBLE DREAM HANDS EXTREEEEEEEEME!!!

I don't know what to do with myself now. I'm going to have to revert to the hermit version of myself, who can only be consoled by eating peanut butter and apple slices while watching Buffy or Battlestar reruns and is only truly happy while watching and singing along to the Buffy Musical "Once More with Feeling."

We've all talked before about who should play the characters in a movie, but I've changed my mind -- I don't want a movie. I WANT A FECKIN TV SHOW!!!! I want to see Barrons every damn week. Not just two hours of glorious hotness and beauty in one year. I want twenty-two hours!! For years to come. Don't you want to see someone who looks similar to this on TV?

Seriously. With the mega success of shows like the Vampire Dairies and True Blood, why hasn't someone come up with something to compete or stand on the same level but from a different mythology. With the right people at the helm, this could. This could surpass it. Not to mention, I would love to see Kristen Bell on a series again and she's perfect for Mac. God knows it would be difficult to find a man hot enough to play Barrons, but it would be so worth it when they did. I'm actually getting goosebumps talking about seeing him on my TV every week.

Really, only in a TV show, could the characters fully be explored and fleshed out. Only then could we really experience their changes. Shadowfever was the #1 NYT Bestseller. That HAS to speak for the power of it's reach and it's fans.

I know nothing about websites or blogs but pleeeeeeease - if there is anyone reading who does, start some sort or petition for a TV show based on the Fever series. Or a twitter campaign or a facebook page. Hell - do them all! And post a link HERE and everyone sign up!! I will post a link on my review and anywhere else I can!

Gorgeous! Just perfect.

My review for the first book, Darkfever. Spoiler FREE.

For the second book, Bloodfever. Spoiler Alert!!!

The third book, Faefever. Spoiler FREE.

The fourth book, Dreamfever. Spoiler FREE.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadowfever.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lyndsey Wow...........
Too hot... Must... Shield... Eyes... *peeks out from hands*

message 52: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH OMG! That was hot.

Anthi ...and that's why I post it the links and not the actual photos (don't want anyone from GR to shut down as explicit lol)

That man is like the best eye-candy ever!!!!!

Anthi I swear that I have girlfriends that don't find Gandy ...pariculary attractive!

Lyndsey Gandy is like the lusty woman's Gandhi. Ahahahha! Lame joke, sorry.

message 56: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Too bad he doesn't (can't?) act.

Anthi OH who cares if he can act!! I'm just going to stare at him (and probably drool!!)

Lyndsey I don't think he acts. I wish....

Anthi I don't think he acts either but how much of acting skill will require to play the super hot/phallocrat/caveman/haughty/I'm gonna frak you wild anytime I feel like it an you're gonna love it!! LOL

He's practically made for that part!! Look at him !

Dominika I love the idea with the TV series!!! a movie would definitely be not enough :)

Lyndsey :) A show would seriously be amazing. I canceled my cable a while back but I would gladly pay the 80 bucks a month again if they had a Fever TV show.

Dominika It's been some time since a book fed my imagination with so many vivid images. The descriptions are remarkable!!! Now we just need someone who can use them the way they should be used!

message 63: by [deleted user] (new)

Lyndsey - I imagined Barrons as the model David Gandy (isn't that they guy you have pictured above)

Lyndsey Yep! He's the hottie in the white shirt!! Same way I pictured Barrons :) Whew!! Love him.

message 65: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey - look at my review again. I added a question, see if you know the answer. By the way watch this on youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx3-rg...

message 66: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 04, 2011 09:58PM) (new)

How do you like this David Gandy? Adult ladies (or men) only.

Lyndsey That YouTube video was awesome, Sunny. Gawd, that man is sooooo gorgeous. Wow - is it hot in here? BARRONS I LOVE YOU!! Er, I mean I like you in a strictly professional manner considering you are a fictional character. Hell, who am I kidding? I love him. LOL

Winnie Omg who was that man on the picture as Barrons?!?!?!?!

message 69: by Lyndsey (last edited Mar 27, 2011 03:36PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyndsey You mean the guy by himself, right? That is the amazing David Gandy. Look him up in google images. Phew!!

message 70: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy Thanks for the great review! I could not agree more with your Dani comments. I felt like she was setting up for a sign off series with her and not focusing as much on the story as I would have liked, but over all I was impressed.

Lyndsey Yeah, Katy. My general infatuation with the series and characters outweighs my disappointment with it. Same goes for The Hunger Games sequels. Though things didn't go exactly how I would hope, I don't regret reading them at all!

Charlee I must say, I loved all of these books, my mom was actually the one to introduce me to them...whenever the new ones would come out we would fight over who got to read them first...usually it ended up being whoever wasn't reading another book at the time (we like to read). It is AWESOME finding someone who has the same reactions as we did, and I no longer feel as insane as I did before....now that I know I was not the only one sitting at home after reading these books, feeling elated and extremely ticked off all at the same time. I don't know if anyone else was, but I was most certainly very depressed after the books ended...I doubt if there will be another series that even comes close to the glory that is the Fever series.

message 73: by Yani (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yani I've been meaning to start reading this series, because of the reviews I've read and because it's been recommended a lot, but I couldn't get myself past the 1st book. Because of your awesome review I will start to read this again today and get back to you...now I can't wait to!!!!!!

message 74: by Sheridan (new) - added it

Sheridan "I'm going to have to revert to the hermit version of myself, who ..is only truly happy while watching and singing along to the Buffy Musical "Once More with Feeling". I thought I was alone. Hahaha. I didn't know anybody else loved Buffy this much.

Kimberley Loved all your reviews of the fever series. I think you articulated what drove me batty about Shadowfever. Still have the hots 4 Barrons. Gotta reread the series ;)

message 76: by TheBookofJules (new)

TheBookofJules I've actually been wanting to pick this series up for awhile :) I'm trying to finish all the books in the Psy/Changeling series before I start though. There's so many good romance series out that I could easily get lost in them haha! Great review :)

Lyndsey Thanks! Oh man, you should definitely start this series! It's one of my favorites OF ALL TIME. But it's not really "romance." It's definitely more urban fantasy. There is romance involved but the series focuses more heavily on the plot and action than many PNRs. And the best part is that the sexual tension is verrrrry long and drawn out. No instalove in sight!

message 78: by TheBookofJules (new)

TheBookofJules Yay sexual tension! As long as they have sex, I'm good. LOL! I think I already have the first book downloaded onto my Kindle. I've heard good things and I keep hearing about this mysterious "Barrons" and it's made me really curious!

message 79: by Lyndsey (last edited Jun 30, 2012 10:37PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyndsey Oh good lord, he is like the hottest thing in a book ever. They definitely have a crazy sexy relationship. I seriously have never been so giddy over a series before. GO READ IT NOW! I command you. XD

message 80: by TheBookofJules (new)

TheBookofJules LOL! I guess I have too! I always giggle so much in sex scenes, it's ridiculous. Not like I'm a grown-ass woman or anything haha! I get really giddy too!

« previous 1 2 next »