Jaimie's Reviews > Bumped

May 20, 11

bookshelves: funny, read-in-2011, series, futuristic
Read from May 18 to 20, 2011

Spoiler Free

Okay so I LOVE Megan McCafferty and by the end I did want to bump (pun intended) it up to four stars because her humor started coming through and got me pumped for the next book but there were just a few things that kept me from that.

This genre is new to McCafferty and I think the set up/world building was a little like getting thrown in a foreign country with out a translator. It took me about 1/4 or more of the book to figure out what was being said. I think a glossary a la Georgia Nicholson books would have been helpful or an intro chapter to get us up to speed.

I had a hard time with the duel character building, although in all honesty I have a hard time with this in any book where they switch first person to first person from chapter to chapter. Will Grayson, Will Grayson was an example of this that was done beautifully however the two different characters were written by two different authors and in the print version the typeface was different, which helped. Don't get me wrong Harmony and Melody are very different but it took me a while to feel like I knew either of them very well.

Once I got into it I really enjoyed it and couldn't put it down. It moved along quickly with short chapters - which I like. Honestly I felt like it was an idea that Jessica Darling would write a short story about in her writing project - I could so hear her snark in Melody. I also saw a bit of Bridget's sweetness that gets mistaken for stupidity in Harmony. All in all I liked it and will anticipate the next in the series now that all the world building and character development is set.

Geeze... that was a long review, sorry :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bumped.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Heidi *Listen. I'll just keep talking anyway. * I think I will wait until book 2 and if that one improves I will read them both.

Jaimie I am excited to read the next one but the lingo in this was just really hard to get used to. Plus it was weird understanding a future of pregger kids