Lacey's Reviews > Solitaire

2006264
Feb 25, 11

bookshelves: first-reads-wins
Read from February 20 to 25, 2011

I won Solitaire from goodreads' First Reads, and honestly it's a great example of why I love entering First Reads drawings.

The premise of the story is pretty much as unique as it gets. The characters are well drawn and believable, and I stayed interested all the way to the end. While it does take more than that to make a book really stellar, hitting all these marks makes one very good in my book. Taken as a whole, I cannot dislike this book.

On the other hand, I did have a few issues. The synopsis gave me the impression that this was going to be a fast-paced, intense thriller. In reality it's more character driven, thoughtful, and even heartwarming (compared to what I was expecting, anyway). It doesn't help that Part 1 does fit the bill to an extent. When things calmed down I had such a hard time reconciling my expectations to reality that I couldn't lose myself in the story as much as I would have liked and truly enjoyed it.

On a similar note, Part 3 moved much too slowly for my taste. I did appreciate the realism of it - the main character has some major psychological issues by this point that would be impossible for her to completely get over in a day or two - but I still found myself bored at times, even though I was still interested in how things would play out.

Also, the ending was much too fast. Everything gets resolved in the last handful of pages, and it's all wrapped up much too prettily in a little bow. The web of believability and realism the author had so effectively created came crashing down . . . and then disintegrated.

I don't regret reading Solitaire, but I don't think I'll be reading it again.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Solitaire.