Mogsy (MMOGC)'s Reviews > The Heroes

The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie

Aug 09, 12

bookshelves: audiobook, fantasy, war
Read from July 21 to August 08, 2012

There must be something about the The First Law trilogy. Because while I loved those three books, I can't say I felt the same enthusiasm for Joe A's other book Best Served Cold or this one, The Heroes. It was very hard for me to give this book a low rating, but I had to be honest; I just didn't enjoy it.

Despite being packed with action-filled battle scenes, it was a struggle to get through this book without nodding off within the first thirty minutes each time I picked it up. That's probably why it took me so long to finish.

Since the book covers events over a three day period during a war, I thought this format would give Abercrombie a better chance to really showcase his characters, and make them shine the way he did with the Bloody Nine and Sand Dan Glokta in the First Law trilogy. Instead, I found them mostly dull and uninteresting. Perhaps this had something to do with the fact so many points of view are being covered in this book, but none of them really stood out as having a distinct voice. Contrast this to Glokta, whom Joe A. supplied with a very recognizable personality and thought process.

Hmm, I don't know. Maybe I just liked the First Law too much and expectations started out too high for this one.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heroes.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Bless you for not loving this damnable book. All of my friends think me mad for not being head over heels for this book and moreso for giving it a scathing review. You're scoring major cool points.

Jack =) thank you' I started reading this two times and still it is unread, I feel like I am letting this author down as i really enjoyed the others,just have a difficult time getting into this one.

message 3: by Andy (new) - added it

Andy Jus finished Best served Cold & Im with you wrt The First Law trilogy & the high bar! A lot of other freinds rate this highly, I might be sliding to your ways of thinking with the standalones in that Glotka et al can never be surpassed

message 4: by Justin (new)

Justin Thanks for the heads-up on this one. I think I'll pass, though I've read the first two books of the Blade Itself series and liked them well enough.