Jessica's Reviews > Sheepfarmer's Daughter

Sheepfarmer's Daughter by Elizabeth Moon

202724
Jan 28, 11

bookshelves: fantasy

I really, really liked this book when I read it in high school. I loved the idea of a history of a hero, from her humble beginnings on through her greatest deeds. I remember Pakse and her companions so well, and I thought the descriptions of army life: recruitment, arming, training, were well done, with just enough detail to be thorough, not enough to drag the story down. There was no rush to spit the story out, it had clearly been plotted for three books, and I looked forward to two and three. And then, to my tragedy, I could not find them! I bought this book, but the one and only bookstore in my area didn't have two or three, and weren't sure they could order them. I found that I could get #3 through interlibrary loan, but I wanted to read two first! I went to college, looked around, could find many copies of this book, occasionally #3, but no #2! Infuriating! Writing this review has just renewed my resolve! I shall find #2 and #3, and I shall reread this book and then the rest! I SHALL!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sheepfarmer's Daughter.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen I've got them, Jessica.

I just checked the Science Fiction Book Club, because I thought they had an omnibus edition, but apparently not. They did list a fourth book in the series, though, that came out last spring: OATH OF FEALTY.

Jessica Oh, I know there's an omnibus edition, that's the one I always find. I'm looking for #2 and 3 separately, because I've got #1, and I'd like the whole set!

message 3: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen So you have been able to read #2 and #3, then?

I was thinking you hadn't even been able to read them, and was offering to let you borrow my copies.

Jessica It's become a sort of Holy Grail project, Kathleen. I actually forgot about the book for several years, and something reminded me of it the other day. I want to buy 2 and 3, and the last time I really thought about it seriously, I think even Amazon didn't have them or something! I think I'll order them today!

message 6: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Yay! Thanks, Nihonjoe. Isn't Goodreads great?

Jessica Yes! I belong to a group called What's the Name of that Book that helps you locate books you can sorta remember but can't find the title for! I've loved rediscovering books through Goodreads!

message 8: by Nihonjoe (last edited Feb 02, 2011 12:31AM) (new)

Nihonjoe The site Abebooks.com has one of those "What's the Name of that Book" sections as well:

It helped me find a book from when I was young: No Such Thing As a Witch by Ruth Chew. It's a fun book; I recommend it. :)

D.A.misses Linda (the now banned fivver and sockpuppet slayer) Or try The ebooks straight from publisher (if link strange cause I copied search result, go to home page, to authors, to Ms. Moon, and if not showing narrow by "fantasy" category). Copied URL is http://www.baenebooks.com/s-78-elizab...