Shiralea Woodhouse's Reviews > The Heroine's Bookshelf: Life Lessons, from Jane Austen to Laura Ingalls Wilder

The Heroine's Bookshelf by Erin Blakemore

Jan 28, 11

bookshelves: favorites, books-i-own

I absolutely recommend this to anyone who reads and re-reads her favorite "heroine" books, but isn't sure why. I've tried telling people why Scarlett O'Hara is so wonderful even though she's such a big "B", and why Jane Eyre, the dowdy governess, is so appealing. This author explains it better than I. I actually teared up a little reading the introduction because the author points out what I've known but never put into words: that even when there are "better" things to do, reading is good for your soul.

Each chapter takes a herione character and her author, and pulls out one of the life lessons they have for us. I hadn't read all of the books, but most. It was fun and interesting to learn about the authors' lives and how they, often through terrible life struggles, left us with inspiring tales of girls and women who became our friends.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heroine's Bookshelf.

Quotes Shiralea Liked

Erin Blakemore
“As women, we are the protagonists of our own personal novels. We are called upon to be the heroines of our own lives, not supporting characters.”
Erin Blakemore, The Heroine's Bookshelf: Life Lessons, from Jane Austen to Laura Ingalls Wilder