Kathryn's Reviews > April and Esme: Tooth Fairies

April and Esme by Bob Graham

Jan 31, 11

bookshelves: childrens-picture-books
Recommended to Kathryn by: Lisa Vegan--thank you!
Read in January, 2011

This is such a cute, warm and humorous story. Yes, it's about tooth fairies and it's a "fantasy" but more than that, it centers around something that is dear to many children and that is being "old enough" to do something Important; especially something that the parents do and that the children admire. In the case of April and Esme, their parents finally entrust them with their very first tooth fairy mission and they are delighted and honored.

I love the details in the illustrations; the hippie dad with his pony-tale little ducky tattoo, the mom in the bathtub chatting with the kids--it all just feels so natural and cozy to spend a little time with this family that seems so very real and like that nice family you'd love to have next door--despite the shortness story and, well, the fact they are tooth fairies! ;-) And don't forget the sweet sweet little dog with its fairy-wings! Loved him.

The only thing that seemed a little "off" about the story was the very end featuring the little story about the rabbit; it just didn't seem to fit with the rest of the story and seemed tacked-on as more of a "statement" (one that seemed to come across well enough in the main story, anyway) but I didn't really mind. The whole thing is just a very heartwarming read, overall.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read April and Esme.

Lisa Vegan Great review, Kathryn. Yep, I think we all have those memories of being excited to be old enough to do something for the first time.

message 2: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann Great review! love the way you said it all :)

Kathryn Thanks! ;-)