J-Lynn's Reviews > Can We Talk about Race?: And Other Conversations in an Era of School Resegregation

Can We Talk about Race? by Beverly Daniel Tatum

Aug 14, 09

bookshelves: teacher-resources, adult-books, non-fiction

This book is a collection of lectures that Dr. Tatum Gave as the inaugural speaker of the Simmons College/Beacon Press Race, Education and Democracy lecture series. The chapters are titled: The Resegregation of our Schools and the Affirmation of Identity; Connecting the Dots: Jow Race in America's Classrooms Affects Achievement; "What Kind of Friendship is That?": The Search for Authenticity, Mutuality, and Social Transformation in Cross-Racial Relationships; and In Search of Wisdom: Higher Education for a Changing Democracy.

All of the chapters deal with race and society as well as race and education. They are strsightforward, insightful, and full of hope. I highly recommend this book and her first book "What are all the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria?" And other Conversations about Race to anyone going into the teaching profession or planning on raising children in America.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Can We Talk about Race?.