Nairabell's Reviews > Claire de Lune

1954980
Jan 30, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011, teen-ya-paranormal, 4-star
Read from January 28 to 30, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

On her sixteenth birthday Claire Benoit discovers she's a werewolf, something that both terrifys her and puts her budding romance with Matthew Engle at risk. Claire's hometown of Hanover Falls has recently had a spree of murders committed by a rogue werewolf, leaving the residents terrified and Matthew's father Dr Engle on the hunt. Dr Engle claims he can cure lycanthropy, but as Claire learns more about her true nature she realises that Matthew's father doesn't know as much as he claims. Then the attacks become more daring and frequent, and Claire is left struggling to protect her secret.

I picked up this book purely for the cover and title. Claire de Lune is an awesome title for a book about a werewolf called Claire. I loved the fact the book is set in a world where werewolves are known about, and the idea of Lycanthropy Researchers International, but this angle wasn't really fulfilled which is a shame as it made the book unique. The idea of having only female werewolves was interesting, although I never fully grasped why many of the werewolf terms were in French as the only French character is Claire's mother Marie.

I do feel the characters could have used more development, especially the rogue wolf who is hunting humans. The reasoning is explained, but there could have been more depth to the motivations. That said I do think that the main characters were well developed, even if they seemed a little cookie cutter at first - like the hunky jock who falls for the shy unpopular girl.

The romance aspect of the storyline was okay but not anything special. There wasn't anything that really made it stand out, and I couldn't help comparing it to the amazing romance in Blood and Chocolate. There was the occasional 'I'm a werewolf dating a guy whose father hunts werewolves', but that aspect never really went anywhere and could easily be removed from the book as it had barely any impact on the storyline.

I enjoyed what I was reading but through most of the book I felt like there was something missing. A couple of things could have been focused on more - how did werewolves become recognised in mainstream society, more romance, more from the rogue wolf's viewpoint - and maybe that is what was lacking. However, the ending of the book is incredible. I don't want to give anything away but it completes the book really well.

All in all I enjoyed this and will probably look out for the sequel Nocturne out August 2011.

Plot: 9/10
Characters: 8/10
Ending: 10/10
Enjoyment: 7/10
Cover: 9/10

Overall: 43/50
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Claire de Lune.