Jen's Reviews > The Darkest Seduction

Read from February 28 to March 04, 2012

Paris and Sienna

Full Review on Fiction Vixen Book Reviews

Maybe 3.5 stars

The Darkest Seduction is the ninth book in the Lords of the Underworld series and probably the most anticipated book yet. This book is Paris and Sienna’s story. There has been serious build up for these two characters. They originally met so many book ago when Sienna, a hunter, captured Paris for the Hunters to torture and extract information from. Paris, the keeper of the demon of Promiscuity, has is to have sex often and with a different female/male each time. After having sex with Sienna while in captivity he quickly realizes that his demon will allow him to have sex with her again something that has never happened before. This starts an obsession with Sienna that Paris has never experienced.

Before he is able to follow through with the details Sienna is killed in a shoot out with Hunters. Paris spirals out of control, upset that the first woman he would ever be able to have sex with twice, is now dead. Through a twist of fate, Cronus brings back Sienna and gives her the demon of Wrath. Once Paris finds this out he makes it his goal to find Sienna and free her. So for about 6 books now we have read about Paris’ efforts to find Sienna. In The Darkest Seduction he finds her and we learn what he intends to do with her.

The previous book in the series, The Darkest Surrender, was about Kaia and Strider. Kaia and Strider were pretty darn funny. Strider kept me laughing the whole book. His book was all about what I have come to love about the LofU and Ms. Showalter’s writing. The interaction between each of the lords and their females are a huge highlight in this series. Each female is just as strong as their male and will put up with no crap. Each female also brings something unique to the relationship and to the fight with the Hunters.

With that said, I felt kind of letdown with Paris and Sienna. Paris is dark, whiney and brooding. The thing that he has become is not very likable or entertaining. Sienna came off as kind of kind of weak and useless. When you put the two of them together, there wasn’t much interesting about them. They lacked what Kaia and Strider or William and Gilly (please, please??) have together. The best parts of them were how what they did interacted with the storyline that is ongoing.

The series plot is still fantastic. I was able to see what Sienna brought to the table once the story came to a conclusion. What she was, wasn’t necessarily important to Paris but to the series arc. And that is why I never want to see her as a match with Paris. I think Paris deserved someone for himself not someone that is thrown together with him because they play an important role in the story.

There were some major plot shifts going on also. We finally see a resolution to Cronus and his machinations. Ashlyn has her babies in what turns out to be a classic scene with William. Kane is stuck with the four horsemen and we have no idea where that is going. Most of the Hunters are dead and gone. Galen and Legion, what a fascinating pairing that could turn out to be. Torin makes a strange deal with Cronus that could turn into anything.

So overall, the book was really good. It was the world and the other characters that I loved not really Paris and Sienna. Paris and Sienna turned out to be a couple that I can easily dismiss simply to get to the rest of the book. That is quite the shame because other than William was there anyone else we were anticipating so much? Final grade- B

Favorite quotes (so many because Ms. Showalter is hysterical):

William clapped to gain everyone’s attention. “All right, listen up. I’ve got good news and bad news. Because I’m such a positive person, we’ll start with the good. Ashlyn survived the birthing, and so did her personal horde.”

The hallway echoed with breathy sighs of relief…none louder than Maddox’s own.

“So what’s the bad?” someone demanded. After a dramatic pause, the warrior said, “I’m out of conditioner. I need someone to flash out of here and get me some. Hint, I’m looking at you, Lucien. And, yeah, you’re welcome for my amazing contrib to your happy family. Little terrors clawed me up but good.”

And

“Dangerous as a lightning strike, as lethal as a pair of crisscrossing short swords,” William whispered, “You’re about to find out how your liver tastes, my friend.”

“I have tasted it already,” Zacharel said, his voice its usual monotone. The snowflakes began to fall in earnest, tiny at first, but growing in diameter. An arctic wind blustered around him. “It was a bit salty.”

How the hell was a guy supposed to respond to that?

Apparently William didn’t know, either, because he gaped at the angel. Then, “Maybe if you added a little pepper?”

O-kay. It was official. William had an answer for everything.

Rating: B

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darkest Seduction.

Nikki ♥ How are you liking this one?

message 2: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen It is pretty good. Not as good Strider because Strider was just too funny. Paris is more serious and angsty.

Nikki ♥ Glad you're liking it I still have to get this one. I loved Strider!

message 4: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Mary Elizabeth wrote: "3 stars is enough LOL"

Yes, it was not one of my favorites. But for the love of the series I gave it the higher star. William made up for Paris being a big whiner.