Ruth's Reviews > Unplanned: The Dramatic True Story of a Former Planned Parenthood Leader's Eye-Opening Journey Across the Life Line

Unplanned by Abby Johnson

F 50x66
Jan 28, 11

Read in January, 2011

If I was known for brevity in book reviews, my review to this book would be only one word long: Wow! However, I'm not known for brevity, so I'll say more.

This was a treadmill book--one I would only let myself read while walking on the treadmill. I walked for an hour and half last night and thirty-five minutes tonight, and I would have stayed longer if necessary to finish this book. Abby's story is powerful. She wasn't a horrible person bent on the destruction of life when she started as a volunteer at Planned Parenthood--she was a young woman who wanted to help women in need. She was converted not by gory pictures or verbal abuse but by the quiet loving prayerful presence of those who opposed what she did but loved her.

One thing I found interesting is that while Abby worked at Planned Parenthood, and, one would assume, had access to any birth control methods or materials she could have wanted/needed, she had two unplanned pregnancies--so much for the idea that all we need to do to prevent unwanted pregnancies is to teach more people about contraception and make contraceptives more readily available.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unplanned.