★ 's Reviews > A Monster Calls

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

Jan 28, 2013

bookshelves: 5-star-excellent, books-i-own, magnificent-writing, read-in-2011, dearest-old-favourites
Read from December 27 to 29, 2011

Since the The Knife of Never Letting Go and its sequels, Patrick Ness has been a favorite author of mine. With the highest of expectations going into this book, I was still totally unprepared for the wonder I was about to uncover.
Its lyrical. Its powerful. Its moving. To quote Meg Rosoff: "(its) story telling as it should be".
Im not going to go into detail. This is a book best read not knowing what to expect.
So, I can vent for ages about how good the writing is, or how wonderful a message the pages hold, or the beauty of the black-grey-white illustrations, or how much I cried throughout. But I wont, because everybody else already has. I think the fact that you need to scroll through more than three pages worth of reviews to find a rating less than 4 stars*, tells of how brilliant this book is.
Quite simply, read it.

*I looked through three pages worth of reviews, and still couldn't find anything below a four. So maybe you need to scroll through more than three pages to find an average review. Maybe you need to scroll thorugh twenty. Im not sure.
20 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Monster Calls.

02/28 marked as: read

Carlyn ...I kind of laughed. "Monster" ... "Ness..." I immediately was like "Haha, Loch Ness!" :P Anyway, onto reading the description and most likely add it to my to-read list. :P

message 2: by Frank (new) - added it

Frank Glad to hear that you enjoyed it. I just started reading it a moment ago.