Rachael's Reviews > Cry, the Beloved Country

Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton

Jan 27, 11

Read in January, 2011

I didn't love the style at first (influenced by Steinbeck and a little choppy in places), but it really grew on me by the end. Paton wrote so much meaning into his words that it became rich and beautiful to me. I was also wary of the painful truths Kumalo discovers upon reaching Johannesburg (talk about depressing!), but I loved the strong theme of redemption and hope by the end. It was a surprising combination of reconciliation and forgiveness within the context of political unrest, fear, prejudice and violence. I was impressed with how Paton wrote the story and characters in such a way to illustrate the many different sides of the conflict in South Africa and still be true to an actual plot. I LOVED the writings of Arthur Jarvis and the character study of John Kumalo in particular. It lived up to it's reputation in every way and I am better for reading it. It might have been even better if I'd figured out where book group was and finished this in time to go and discuss it there. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cry, the Beloved Country.