L11_Ryanne Szydlik's Reviews > Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale

Knuffle Bunny by Mo Willems

Feb 02, 11

bookshelves: picture-books

Mo Williems has taken a twist to your typical illustrations in this wildly funny book. Trixie is a small child who has a favorite stuffed bunny named Knuffle Bunny. She goes on an errand with her father to the laundromat. This is where Trixie's life turns upside down.

In this picture book for young readers to non-readers, the children can connect to Trixie's problem. Parents can also understand the magnitude of the main characters problem! With using the pictures to tell the story, Mo Williems makes it easy for children to pick up this story and read it to themselves. The children can also work on the comprehension strategy of inferencing by gathering information from the pictures to create a story.
Mo Williems takes a mixed media approach to his illustrations. He combines photography and cartoon characters in this child's tale. This would be an appropriate for any child living in the Brooklyn burrow, especially Park Slope. Knowing Park Slope very well, I was engaged with the story just because of the personal connection. Children from that area of Brooklyn would be ecstatic to see the familiarity of their home.

Great Read!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Knuffle Bunny.

Lindsey I love this book too! Austin and I have a copy, as well as Knuffle Bunny Too. The sequel is well done as well, connecting to the first book, but would stand well on its own too. I know there is a third book as well, that we haven't read yet. Have you read either of the sequels?

I enjoyed the mixed media format including the real photographs as well. I wasn't sure (or couldn't remember) what city the story took place in, but I think students from any large city could really connect with the illustrations especially.

Q_Barb I agree, this book is just plain fun on so many levels, Ryanne. I love how he illustrated the child's growing frustration as well as the father's using the mixed media. I couldn't at first think of ways to use it in a classroom, but you are ideas are great!

L11_Page This is one of my favorites, Ryanne. I've used it with my kindergartners for prediction, inference as you suggested, an introduction to print referencing and just for plain fun. We connected it to a great discussion on losing special things and wrote about those experiences. I love the mixed media as well, and it's interesting to teach this in a more suburban school where the children aren't sure what a laundromat is and ask why the houses are so close together. The next book in the series is great, too, but I'm less excited about the latest one... I won't tell you why in case you haven't read it yet!

message 4: by L11-Mary (new)

L11-Mary Utterback This book reminded me of Courderoy. I used to love reading those books and I remember the one where he gets washed at the laundromat. I have not used this book in any lessons so far, but I loved your inferencing suggestions. This is a fun book!