Lindsay's Reviews > The Awakening and The Struggle

Feb 27, 11

bookshelves: books-i-own
Read from February 21 to 26, 2011

The Vampire Diaries by L.J. Smith

Elena Gilbert is the golden girl who has fallen head over heels in love with Stefan, the only guy she wants. Stefan Salvatore, the guy with a past, will do anything to protect Elena, even if it means avoiding her. Damen Salvatore, the one who will do anything to possess Elena and take revenge against Stefan.

Well, I know this is bad to say but when reading the back, it sounded more exciting than it actually was. I thought that I would enjoy this book so much because of all the hype the TV show was getting but I didn't. I had several problems with all of the characters. Elena, first of all, whose pretty much the stereotypical outspoken popular girl who does everything to get what she wants and does. That really bugged me. I felt she was too bratty and immature, she was rude to her friends and family, and she was selfish. She didn't care what other people thought about her which is a good quality to have but she didn't care about the people who mattered either. I did like her strong personality but I just wasn't crazy about her, she was just all over the place for me. And Stefan, oh lord seriously? On the TV show, he looks super cute and seems great but in the book...what's there to like? He's brooding, serious, and boom, Elena's in love with him all of sudden. Too cliche for me. I would have liked to read about their attraction growing over time and a little bit more personality from him at least. But everything was just too fast. The only characters I really enjoyed while reading were Damen and Caroline. And they were evil!

The plot had so much potential that could have gone place but didn't. Now I already own the sequel to this and I will read it but not for awhile. In fact, I'm actually taking a mini-vacation from paranormal YA for a little while.

Rating: 3 out of 5 Stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Awakening and The Struggle.

02/22/2011 page 150
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

~Jessica~I'm a Hoodie Ninja~ I couldn't even finish this book!

Lindsay It was so hard for me to finish it! I honestly thought it would be better because of how popular the series is but I guess not. Have you watched the tv series?

~Jessica~I'm a Hoodie Ninja~ I've seen a few episodes. I can honestly say that the TV shows are better!

Lindsay That's good. I've been planning on watching the show for awhile now but I wasn't sure because of the book. I also heard that the writer got fired from writing anymore of the Vampire Diaries anymore.