Maureen E's Reviews > Miles, Mutants, and Microbes

Miles, Mutants, and Microbes by Lois McMaster Bujold

Jan 27, 2011

bookshelves: scifi, short-stories
Read in December, 2010

Miles, Mutants and Microbes: This includes Falling Free, “Labyrinth,” and Diplomatic Immunity. The three stories are linked by their subject: quaddies, a genetically engineered form of human with two sets of arms and no legs. The first novel tells the story of their origination and initial struggles. Out of all of the non-Miles stories in the series, I enjoyed this one the most. Leo was a very different character, but a compelling one in his own right. “Labyrinth” isn’t my favorite story, but it does provide some history for various character whom we encounter in other novels. Diplomatic Immunity was lovely, although it sent me on an immediate search for “Winterfair Gifts”, the story that precedes it chronologically. I remain an Ekaterin fangirl (because she is awesome). It was nice to have some more of Bel, who I’m very fond of. However, I went from reading this one straight into reading “Borders of Infinity” (the short story), and it gave me Cetagandan whiplash. In Diplomatic Immunity, they’re not sympathetic characters exactly, but they’re also not out and out villains in the way they’re shown in “Borders of Infinity.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miles, Mutants, and Microbes.