Shane's Reviews > Pirate Latitudes

Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton

Jan 27, 11

Read in January, 2011

As a new reader, but a Michael Crichton fan, I can't rip this book apart like a book critic could do. I will however give my honest thoughts as someone who has read 5-6 of Crichton's books.

The book starts off strong with interesting characters and a plot that is very typical of a pirate based story. Several characters are introduced and as one would expect, they all have nicknames and "colorful" backgrounds. As the story unfolds, there are several predictable turns and events and a villain that is built up to be a strong challenge for the main character. This is where the book falls off the deep end. The story feels very well thought out but even more unfinished. I felt like I was reading a cliff notes version of another great Michael Crichton book. With not wanting to spoil anything, it's hard to explain why this book falls short. I'll put it this way though: all the parts that should be long and engaging are short and disappointing. Too many assumptions are made without a physical connection being made to explain the characters course of action.
This book needs another 50-100 pages to make it a great book worthy of Michael Crichton’s name on the cover. It’s obvious it was a great work in progress but sadly he passed away before finishing it. The people who found this and decided to publish it deserve a punishment fitting of a pirate, for that’s what they’ve committed by publishing this unfinished and unpolished book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pirate Latitudes.

message 1: by Joey (new) - rated it 1 star

Joey I agree. When I read the first few chapters the book appeared very promising, and as I went further into it I began disliking it more and more