Sherah's Reviews > Memories, Dreams, Reflections

Feb 18, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: brain, biography
Read in February, 2011

I really, really, really, really, really enjoyed the first part of this book. I developed a strong crush on Dr. Jung due to his extreme sensitivity, reflection, and openmindedness displayed naturally from a very young age. We often fall for those who've been through the same fundamental inner experiences; I related so hard to his battle with religious doubt as a pre-teen and teenager. I highlighted so much of the section of this book in which he explains his thoughts about God, as I'd had the same thoughts growing up in a religious home. Additionally, I was an "outsider" type as a child, an experience he documents as part of his own childhood pain. The integrity with which he approaches his personal belief system as a child impressed me, and he took that quality with him through the rest of his life, pursuing all of his interests with such analysis and then adding intuition on top of it, to enhance this already-solid eye. An amazing man.

I was into this book up through the parts where he described some patients, establishing himself as a psychiatrist, having fallouts with Freud. Once he started going into his visions (not just dreams--visions!), he started to lose me. I haven't read any of his other works yet, so I don't know how "ready" I am to "get" the symbolism he seems to see in his subconscious expressions. It was at least interesting for a while, but then I started finding the analyses to be tedious, far-fetched, and even anxiety-provoking. Perhaps my own subconscious is being repressed and is fighting back against being seen!?!?! Ha. Who knows. I sure don't, and I'm too much of a psych-n00b to really get why.

I started keeping a dream log as a result of this reading. I had originally decided to read this book because I wanted to have more insight into my dreams, but I didn't realize what I was in for. Maybe after reading more accessible works I'll be able to return to Jung's self-analytics and appreciate them more. For now, ignorance colors it hokey and far-fetched. At least I'm keeping tabs on my dreams for future reference.

Some quotes of note:
"I was concerned with investigating truth, not with questions of personal prestige."

"...it sometimes happens to the best analyst that he is unable to unlock the riddle of a dream."

"The collective unconscious is common to all; it is the foundation of what the ancients called the 'sympathy of all things'."

"The kernel of all jealousy is lack of love."

"Dreams are, after all, compensations for the conscious attitude."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Memories, Dreams, Reflections.

01/28 page 51