Mike (the Paladin)'s Reviews > The Cases That Haunt Us: From Jack the Ripper to Jonbenet Ramsey, the FBI's Legendary Mindhunter Unravels the Mysteries That Won't Go Away

The Cases That Haunt Us by John E. Douglas

Jun 09, 14

I read this some time ago...after my "true crime" period. Occasionally something will click and I'll look up a book on a given subject. Douglas was an FBI Special Agent and one of the earliest criminal profilers.

Here he takes a look at several "interesting" high profile cases from the past and (the book's) present. The Zodiac Killer (a case never solved), The Black Dalia (also never solved), Bambi Bembenek (accused of murder, escaped, recaptured and awarded a new trial. She finally agreed to plead to a lesser charge for a sentence of "time served" and was freed), The Boston Strangler (Albert DeSalvo condemned but now there are questions as to his guilt), and the JonBenét Ramsey case.

He also looks at Jack the Ripper, the Lindbergh kidnapping, and Lizzie Borden (who no one ever seems to remember was found not guilty...though Mr. Douglas seems as if he might disagree with that verdict).

I found this an interesting even absorbing book. If it's a topic your interested in you might try it. For what it is I recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cases That Haunt Us.