Jennifer Johnson's Reviews > Looking for Alaska

2021711
Feb 10, 11

bookshelves: audiobooks
Read from January 28 to February 09, 2011

I've been reading a lot of YA lately. The thing is, a lot of YA is really good. Looking for Alaska was just that, a really great coming of age story.

In search of a new experiance, Miles decides to attend a private school where is father is an alumnus. The change of scenes brings new friends; a roomate names "the Colonel", a smoking friend in Takumi (I listened to the books so if name spellings are wrong, please forgive), and the beautiful, free spirited Alaska, who Miles quickly finds himself with feelings for, despite the obstacle of her boyfriend.

I liked this book because it was honest. The characters are flawed, but you care more about them because they aren't perfect. They're teenagers full of their own self importance and self centered concern. And, when they are forced to face a harsh and difficult reality, they do so as teenagers, and we see them begin shown glimpses of their adult selves.

I remember being a teenager (barely) and this story captures that feeling so well. I am a newly converted John Green groupie (after loving Will Grayson, Will Grayson)- Mr. Green's books are all going into the "to read" queue. Mr. Green captures the essence of teenager-hood so well, with of unease for adults, a hearty dose of cynacism and a wicked, but usually dark sense of humor peppered with heartbreak, this book was an enjoyable read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Looking for Alaska.

02/01/2011
02/04/2011 "After. Sad."
02/09/2011
98.0% "I love this book. Such a great coming of age and dealing with "it" story."