Hallie's Reviews > Swift Justice

Swift Justice by Laura DiSilverio

Jan 27, 11

Read in December, 2010

Author Laura DiSilverio’s debut novel, “Swift Justice” (her PI is named Charlotte “Charlie” Swift), opens in Charlie’s Colorado Springs office with a visit from Melissa Lloyd, an interior decorator who has had something unexpected left on her porch: a newborn baby. She’s had the baby’s DNA tested and it’s her own grandchild. The baby has to have been abandoned by the daughter Lloyd gave up for adoption seventeen years ago. “Find my daughter,” Lloyd says. Only she has no name, no photo, and no idea at all what happened to the baby she gave away.

To complicate matters, the next time Charlie returns to her office, waiting for her is a woman who strikes her as “Dirty Harriet with a large caliber revolver cradled in her ample lap.” It’s Georgia “Gigi” Goldman, Charlie’s silent partner Les’s soon-to-be-ex-wife. She announces, “I’m afraid I need money so I’m here to learn how to be an investigator,” and just like that Charlie finds herself saddled with a wacky partner.

Charlie is smart and resourceful, and while she investigates the baby’s missing 17-year-old mother, Gigi gets in all kinds of outlandish trouble. Most of the time it works, and Gigi provides comic relief to leaven Charlie’s investigation. But some of the setups stretch credibility to the breaking point and the partnership starts to feel like Cagney and Lucy. Overall the story is well crafted, and this series should appeal to readers who enjoy a good puzzle mystery with a side of slapstick.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Swift Justice.