Lori Bamber's Reviews > Sammy's Hill

Sammy's Hill by Kristin Gore

Jan 27, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011
Read in January, 2011

While reading the first two chapters of this book, my thoughts ran along the lines of "not my cup of tea" and "note to self: "New York Times Best Seller" does not mean "worth reading" no matter how much self loves said New York Times." But I kept reading, and somewhere in chapter 3 or 4, I got hooked by the protagonist's quirkiness. Kristin Gore is a skilled writer, but this plot is of the fairy tale variety. (The pet store owner and fruit seller in her neighbourhood both turn out to be Korean spies.) This is Bridget Jones, American-style -- without the British wit and with American politics thrown in for fun.

I probably would have liked this book a lot more if I'd read it in my 20s, and perhaps I would have then learned from its moral: No matter how hot the guy, if he doesn't share your values, thinks aren't going to work out. I also liked the fact that our protagonist doesn't start ditching the responsibilities of her high-level job when she tumbles for the guy. I might pass this on to my 20-something friends, but ... it's more likely I'll recommend Jane Austen as usual.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sammy's Hill.