Paul Pessolano's Reviews > The Art of Racing in the Rain

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

Jan 27, 11

There are some books you must read - this is one of those books. Yes, it is a dog book, yes, the dog does die at the end (sort of. Even if you have problems with dog books and dogs dying in the end, this still remains a must read book.

Denny Swift is a race driver and is the owner of a mix lab - and maybe poodle shepherd dog named Enzo. The story is told from the dog's perspective as he sees our world and his place in it. Denny leaves for work one day and forgets to turn the TV off. He comes home to find Enzo fascinated with TV. He finds that he really likes the Weather Channel and anything to do with racing.

Denny gets married and he and wife, Eve, have a daughter, Zoe. Enzo tells how he works to keep the family together when Eve is diagnosed with a fatal illness, and Denny is accused of being a child predator.

Enzo reveals a unique philosophy on life, and one that we might well consider in our own lives.

Enzo is obsessed with the thumb because having a thumb would put him closer to being human; he also believes that when a dog dies he comes back into his next life as a human.

This is a funny compassionate story that is uplifting. It gives the reader a sense of hope, loyalty, and love. This is one of those rare books that is suitable to all ages and can be enjoyed regardless of whether you are an animal lover or racing fan. The story is that good.

Another excellent choice for a Book Club.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of Racing in the Rain.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Miriam I've read about 1/3 of this book and so far so good. I really like Enzo's perspective of his relationship with the child.