Jessica at Book Sake's Reviews > A Discovery of Witches

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

Mar 10, 11

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from February 07 to 16, 2011

Vampires, Demons, and of course Witches. Many of my favorite things. Don’t read into the statement that the book has a resemblance to Twilight, there is way too much history in this book to be compared to Twilight. The romance isn’t as immediate either, it is a bit more realistic in that sense.

I like books that have a historical basis entwined with the fictional world, but this one was a bit heavy on the historical bits for me. Instead of learning about their history through being there (as in Anne Rice’s Interview With A Vampire), we learn their history simply by being told about it. That relates to being bored by those details when nothing is happening but story time.

The characters of Diana and Matthew are so very well written that this pulls the novel back up to being very readable. Diana is at times annoying with her reasoning for behaving the way she does and you are never quite sure about Matthew’s intention’s, which keeps it intriguing. Some of the other characters within the novel make smaller appearances and I hope to see more of them in the rest of the trilogy. If you love historical fiction with a bit of paranormal thrown in, this is the book for you.