Alisha Geary's Reviews > Edges

Edges by Léna Roy

Jan 27, 11

Edges is a beautiful book. I inhaled it. Then I savored it. I am reading it for the third time since I got it for Christmas. I love how the narratives intertwine. Everyone is connected--thus everyone is important. The characters are too real at times, reminding me of friends in real life. Ava and Luke are just trying to figure out who they are and what they should become. Aren't we all? I love the bold discussion of addiction and recovery. The description isn't trite or too simple. Mostly I love that each character is trying to find a community, a family, a place in the world. Speaking of places--New York City and Moab are so richly described that the places become characters themselves. We all have an AA meeting and a Moonflower Motel in our lives. Places we go to engage with reality and to commune with identity. Critics have questions the use of mysticism in the book--don't be discouraged. The treatment is not heavy handed. It is beautiful--all embroidered into the rich tapestry of the narrative. Cinnamon Sprite and her lucid dreams are some of the richest and brightest parts of the book. Go read it. I loved it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Edges.