Between the Covers's Reviews > Delirium

Jan 27, 11

bookshelves: dystopian, young-adult
Read in January, 2011

Reviewed by Christin for Between the Covers

Alright, regulators, come and lock me up: I LOVED this book. Once again, this is a book where all the hype is definitely well-deserved.

Lena dreams of the day when she will be able to be cured from the amor deliria nervosa, when she will hopefully, finally be free of the whispers surrounding her family and her mother's death. She has prepared endlessly for her evaluation, hoping that she will receive a good score and therefore a good pairing. But something happens on the day of her evaluation that sparks a chain of events, causing Lena to question who she is - and more importantly, who she wants to become.

Delirium had me hooked from the very first chapter, and kept me hooked until the very end, because there were so many aspects of the book to love. I really enjoyed the quotes from The Book of Shhh and other Delirium-world books at the beginning of each chapter in addition to the poetry and well-known stories that were later incorporated. All of the characters were very well developed; even the smaller characters were given backstories and detailed descriptions. Equally well developed was this dystopian society. Because of the quotes at the beginning of each chapter, I really understood the parameters and could therefore imagine what it would be like to live in such a society. Both the events and the characters in this book were quite vivid, and I felt that I really lived along with them.

This book is impeccably written, by turns compelling, amusing, suspenseful, shocking, and poignant. While all the elements of a story are present - engaging plot, relatable, true characters, an enjoyable writing style - in Delirium, they have all come together in a unique way. It has definitely made its impression on me.

The only bad thing about this book? The long wait for Pandemonium! I need the next installment now!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.