Sarah Sammis's Reviews > From Cover to Cover: Evaluating and Reviewing Children's Books

From Cover to Cover by Kathleen T. Horning

Mar 11, 12

bookshelves: read-in-college, pc, read-in-2011
Read from January 27 to April 27, 2011

From Cover to Cover by Kathleen T. Horning offers guidelines for selecting and reviewing books for children. I read it as a textbook for the materials for children ages 5 to 8 course I took. The book, though covers books from infancy through young adult.

The book has three main parts: how to gauge a child's readiness for certain levels of books, recommendations by different topics and finally the nuts and bolts of writing reviews.

Horning shows how to judge a child's reading level, even for the youngest, based on a few language assessments you can do. I tried the technique on my daughter and realized she was ready for Level 1 easy readers.

The book review section is most useful for people planning to write for print publications, like Library Journal or similar. There are some techniques that apply to blog writing but blog reviews tend to run longer than the suggested length in From Cover to Cover.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read From Cover to Cover.