rameau's Reviews > City of Ashes

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare

Jan 28, 11

bookshelves: book-film-show, genre-fantasy, read-in-2011, language-english-original
Read from January 27 to 29, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Does Magnus steal his coffee ready made or does he take the cups and coffee and other ingredients separately and magic them into drinks?

"You offered to marry her, but did you say it was because you loved her? It doesn't sound like it."
Luke was silent.
"I think you should have told her the truth. I think you're wrong about how she feels."
"I'm not, Clary." Luke's voice was firm: That's enough now.
"I remember once I asked her why she didn't date," Clary said, ignoring his
admonishing tone. "She said it was because she'd already given her heart. I thought she meant to my dad, but now—now I'm not so sure."

Aww, sitting here with tears in my eyes.

I'm torn. I'm so happy that Simon didn't die but I'm also disappointed. The moment was so sweet and it would have been such a great ending for his character. I can only hope that Cassandra Clare has something better in mind for the character.

This turn of events also makes me feel somewhat squeamish. I'm expecting for a major character (not a hateful but well justified so one book bitch) to die and it's starting to look like the author is evading taking that step. As much as I appreciate the opportunity to learn more about these characters that I do love, it's starting to remind me of another ill-conceived novel saga that I wish I had left unread.

I'd like to think that the Luke and Jocelyn relationship is reflected through Simon and Clary with some sort of pay off. Preferably Clary growing up and realising Jace was her Valentine and the real, mature love of her life was so much closer. But I have a habit of disappointing myself, so I won't entertain that notion much longer.

City of Glass, here I come.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Ashes.

01/28/2011 "The author makes her point against racism and intolerance of any kind much better than Suzanne Collins made her point against war."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Flory I think that he steals them already made. Clary does say that she's going to leave a tip in the coffee shop...

rameau Well I did ask the author, so we'll see if she answers.