Paul Pessolano's Reviews > Afraid

Afraid by Jack Kilborn

Jan 27, 2011

If you are "Afraid" do not read this book.

This book ranks up there with the best of them. It reminded me a lot of David Morrell's book "Creepers". If you like scary I highly recommend this book.

"Afraid" is classified as mystery, but in all honesty it really should be classified as horror. There is a mystery, but definitely contains MORE horror.

I talked to the author and he told me not to get attached to any of the characters. The reason being that most of the people in the book are not around at the end.

Wiley Streng, during his Vietnam War tour, was running a lucrative black market racket; he inadvertently got a hold of a tape of a village massacre. The massacre was committed by an elite group of soldiers that were taken from the dregs of society and programmed to committ any act to complete their mission.

Wiley disappears in his home town of Safe Haven. So the author has a wierd sense of humor. Wiley has intentions of sellling the tape for ransom. However, the elite force has as its objective to take the tape from Wiley and not pay the ransom.

They converge on the town of Safe Haven and attempt to find Wiley. The townspeople are questioned as to his whereabouts and are subjected to the most cruel and inhumane treatment that you could imagine. Nothing is left to the imagination, well maybe a few things.

This book is not for the queasy or faint of heart. However, if you are in the mood for a very scary, and a keep you up at night book, jump on this one.

Jack Kilborn, by the way, is not the author's real name. You will know him best as J.A. Konrath, the author of the very popular Jack Daniels mysteriesx. You might know them better as, "Whiskey Sour", "Bloody Mary", "Rusty Nail", etc..

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Afraid.