Luann's Reviews > Bear at the Beach

Jan 27, 2011

bookshelves: picture-book, gr-author, 2011
Recommended to Luann by: Lisa Vegan
Read on February 22, 2011

This is a simple, sweet story that is also surprisingly profound. Bear longs for his father - someone who will keep his secrets, hold him in the night, love him as he is, teach and explain things to him, and be his best friend. Don't we all long for someone like that! A beautiful story to read aloud. The simple pen-and-ink with watercolor illustrations complement the story perfectly.

A favorite quote:
"Some of us make our homes where we find them," said the hermit, tapping his borrowed shell. "What matters is that you are safe and cared for and loved."
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bear at the Beach.

Lisa Vegan The second book is good too. The third book is on its way to me. Have you read her children's novel Wild Things? It's a new favorite of mine!

Luann My library had the first and second book, but not the third. They don't have Wild Things, either. :(

Thanks for the recommendation! I don't think I ever would have noticed the books on my own. I'll definitely keep an eye out for Wild Things!

Lisa Vegan You've got to read Wild Things!!!

I have the third bear book at home now, but I haven't read it yet.

Luann Lisa wrote: "You've got to read Wild Things!!!"

It's on my TBR. Since it isn't at my public library, maybe I'll purchase it for my school library. Do you think it's appropriate for students from 4th to 6th grade?

Lisa Vegan Yes. Definitely 6th, and 5th, and I think 4th too. It would definitely be an asset to your school library. And, you could request that your public library purchase it.

Luann Thanks! I'll add it to my "buy" list for my library. We haven't had much money for books the last couple of years, but we just recently got a one-time allocation of funds for books. So I'm putting together some orders. Choosing new books is one of my top-favorite parts of the job! :)

Lisa Vegan Luann, I think the book will be a good investment. I think it will be a classic.

Now, after all this, I hope YOU like it.