Lamia's Reviews > Entangled

Entangled by Cat Clarke

Mar 09, 11

bookshelves: stand-alone, 2011, realistic-fiction
Read from March 07 to 08, 2011

This book. Ugh. Where do I start?

First off, I very strongly dislike Grace, the narrator. I didn't really like her at the beginning (she whined too much for my taste), and it got worse as the story went on. I just don't understand how anyone could think she's a likeable character. I know teenagers can be mean and fickle, and I can forgive some selfishness and defensiveness, but this goes way beyond that. She's condescending, rash and tries to balance her insecurities by making other people feel uncomfortable. It got to the point where Grace was going on about her unworthiness and how she didn't deserve such a perfect boyfriend, and all the while I kept thinking "no. No, you don't." Her voice has a certain bite to it that I could have liked if she was less petulant and if the angst wasn't so overdone. But sadly, I pretty much hated her guts half-way through, and no amount of wit would have topped that.

Secondly, this book deals with sensitive matters and I don't feel like the author handled them well at all. Grace's suicidal thoughts are recounted right from the start, without giving us any context. That, added to her whining, makes her look weak since the empathy factor is absent from the reader's perspective. Instead of being heart-broken for her, I was left scratching my head and being frustrated at the lack of information I was given. Furthermore, the cutting matter wasn't broached carefully enough. I just found something lacking in her writing, especially on the emotional front. And the fact that we still didn't know the reason for her depression didn't help either.

Speaking of her writing: the constant switches between flashbacks and present, while enjoyable in the beginning, got extremely aggravating after a while. She wrote a scene, set up a big revelation and then bam! Back to the present. I know it's nothing new, but there are better ways to keep the readers on their toes without resorting to using annoying pseudo cliff-hangers. Her prose is also very clumsy. It doesn't flow naturally at all, in that every detail that's given seems deliberate. The obviousness of it all keeps you thinking, and possibly hoping, that the author is being deliberately misleading. Unfortunately, you're wrong. I figured out the mystery after exactly 16 pages. Yup. So while the reader is supposed to want to turn the pages faster to get a clue of what's going on, I was left feeling irritated at the simplicity of the plot and just wanting to skip to the end to see if I was right.

The only bright spots in this story were Grace's interactions with Sal and Nat. But again, Sal's "mysterious" behaviour is as subtle as a sledgehammer.

Finally, I'd like to address the ending. While predictable, the twist was still gut wrenching and, for maybe the first time, I felt truly sorry for Grace. And while this could have been a good thing, considering the writer chose to put it at the end of the book, it just feels like a huge unresolved issue and made me feel frustrated, angry and depressed after closing the book. And NOT in a good way. I honestly just want to forget I ever read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Entangled.

03/08/2011 page 16
4.0% "Hmmm. I have a theory about what's going on, but I really hope I'm wrong. If I've already figured it out, the rest of the book is going to suck."
03/08/2011 page 80
21.0% "The narrator is seriously starting to annoy me. I feel no sympathy for her. Not a good sign."
03/08/2011 page 195
52.0% "This entire book is a mix of overdone angst and frustrating clichés. Gah."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

~Tina~ Couldn't agree more with everything you said. Great review!

message 2: by Nomes (last edited Apr 11, 2011 04:18AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Nomes out of all goodreads, only 7 people have rated it one star ~ 4 of those people are my friends, haha.

awesome review!

also ~ why is everyone else seeming to rave about this so much? argh.

~Tina~ Hehe ^^ It was a different way to tell a story, I'll give it that, but I think it just works for some people and doesn't for others.

Lamia Thank you, Tina! The only reason I managed to write a semi coherent review is because I took notes as I read or I would have just dissolved in a ball of frustration.

Nomes, I have NO idea. I read a few 5 star reviews after I finished it and kept wondering if they were talking about the same book :/

Nomes I know! I sometimes wonder if people just get on the "rave band-wagon' about a book and get all blown away by a "new twisty whoah concept" or if they really genuinely had a brilliant time reading the book, you know?

it feels really comforting finding people who have the same 'what the?' experience with a book as me.

also ~ i didn;t even bother to review it. i just wanted to move right along from the whole experience, haha. feels like it will take too much energy to defend why i didn;t like the thing./

also bummed as I bought this book thinking it was a safe buy (seeing as it was pretty much universally loved) at least I was able to swap it :)

Lamia Maybe that's why people don't rate it 1 star? ... They just want to forget the whole experience.

Personally, I dread hype unless I really trust the person who said a book was awesome. Usually, the more hyped up a story is, the more disappointed I am when I finally get around to reading it.

message 7: by Lindsey Rae (new) - added it

Lindsey Rae OMG only 1 star?? Perhaps I need to remove it from my TBR...

message 8: by Aleeeeeza (new)

Aleeeeeza new twisty whoah concept

lol, nomes comes up with the coolest terms :P

guess i shall be skipping this one, then :/