Kristin's Reviews > Readicide: How Schools Are Killing Reading and What You Can Do about It

Readicide by Kelly Gallagher

Feb 04, 11

Read from January 27 to February 01, 2011

How is it that our public schools have degenerated into test preparation centers? Why is it that in preparing our students to demonstrate progress via standardized tests, we've actually inhibited their growth as independent, creative thinkers? Since when are books missing from English classrooms, and what can we do to rekindle students' love of reading? We find the answers in Kelly Gallagher's Readicide.

I think Readicide is a highly accessible book that offers not only good information about literacy, but also many techniques to promote effective reading in the classroom. Gallagher explains that reading is a skill that needs to be taught; we must look beyond decoding words and train students to read deeply. This practice will help students become critical thinkers. As a teacher, I will employ many of the strategies that Gallagher suggests, such as creating a "book flood" in the classroom, using "one pagers," incorporating reading from many sources such as newspapers, magazines, and websites, and adopting a "big chunk/little chunk philosophy," just to name a few.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Readicide.